Woodstar Brorum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Woodstar Brorum

For Bros, By Bros

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Disguise Self as similar race?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Yakkub
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
Yakkub

Disguise Self as similar race? Empty
PostSubject: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm

The spell "Disguise Self" is described as such in the SRD:

Quote :
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Trickery 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level (D)

You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.

The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, nor does it alter the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your equipment.

If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check.

A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion.

What I'm wondering is whether or not the adjustments to your physical appearance can be used to impersonate a similar race; e.g. a human making their ears pointy and their eyes almond shaped to resemble an elf.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/yakkub
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

PostSubject: Re: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 pm

I don't see why not. And the less things you change, the harder it would be to interact with the glamer, therefore making it harder to see through.

That brings up another question. What do you consider to be interaction with a glamer?
Back to top Go down
https://thebrorum.forumotion.com
Yakkub
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
Yakkub

PostSubject: Re: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 1:58 pm

WoodyTheWoodstar wrote:
That brings up another question. What do you consider to be interaction with a glamer?

My interpretation is that the glamer is incorporated into your disguise check, effectively making anyone entitled to a spot check to see through the disguise also entitled to a will save to see through the magical element. (See the rules on the Disguise skill.)
Back to top Go down
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

PostSubject: Re: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:42 pm

That's the way I did it for quite a while. But lately I've been thinking about the implications of "interaction". You wouldn't be able to tell a silent image of a wall of fire is fake by looking at it, but by the fact that it doesn't exude heat. Using your example, you wouldn't be able to SEE any difference in their ears and eyes, but if they start doing anything slightly un-elf-like, that is when you'd get your will save. I think a cut-and-dry "you see it, you suspect it" is rather shallow, and sells the illusion school a bit short.

For that spell in particular, it has two distinct aspects: the bonus to disguise vs. spot and the illusion vs. will save. Anyone seeing you rolls vs. disguise. Anyone talking to you or observing you closely might get a will save, depending on how well you're playing your part.
Back to top Go down
Yakkub
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
Yakkub

PostSubject: Re: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 5:54 pm

WoodyTheWoodstar wrote:
But lately I've been thinking about the implications of "interaction". You wouldn't be able to tell a silent image of a wall of fire is fake by looking at it, but by the fact that it doesn't exude heat. Using your example, you wouldn't be able to SEE any difference in their ears and eyes, but if they start doing anything slightly un-elf-like, that is when you'd get your will save. I think a cut-and-dry "you see it, you suspect it" is rather shallow, and sells the illusion school a bit short.
(Just to be that guy, with a DC 80 spot check any visual illusion is toast (or a natural 20, DM's preference). However, noticing that the flames are silent would probably be more easily achievable.)
True enough, I think that attitude would undermine the illusion school, however as far as glamers and figments are concerned I think it's a fair call.

WoodyTheWoodstar wrote:
For that spell in particular, it has two distinct aspects: the bonus to disguise vs. spot and the illusion vs. will save. Anyone seeing you rolls vs. disguise. Anyone talking to you or observing you closely might get a will save, depending on how well you're playing your part.
In fact, the disguise skill also encompasses acting in character, so it'd be two separate disguise rolls: one vs. spot with the +10 modifier from the spell in question for appearance, and one vs. spot (or, logically, sense motive) without the magic modifier (but possibly with a +2 synergistic bonus from bluff) to stay in character.
Back to top Go down
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

PostSubject: Re: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Ah, that was my mistake. I thought that a will save would negate the effects of the spell. The way I explained it is how glamers and image spells should work when there's a note about interaction in the spell description.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disguise Self as similar race?   Disguise Self as similar race? Empty

Back to top Go down

Disguise Self as similar race?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Woodstar Brorum :: D&D :: Rules Halp-
Jump to: