Woodstar Brorum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Woodstar Brorum

For Bros, By Bros

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Skyrim Plot

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 9:56 am

So... you're some dragon-blooded guy. You hang out with one of the Blades. You become a hero. Renewed empire get?
Back to top Go down
https://thebrorum.forumotion.com
Scildecido
Lord Artista
Lord Artista

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm sure I won't care about the story like last game.
Back to top Go down
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 am

Hah, I suppose that will be a true thing. I think, though, that I'm going to make it a point to actually play the main plot instead of just reading all the spoilers. I want a new computer before this comes out. elephant
Back to top Go down
Scildecido
Lord Artista
Lord Artista

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 1:38 pm

I probably should too play the plot for once. In Morrowind, I couldn't even find it. Oblivion I just fucked around and when I tried to finally do it, I got pretty bored.
Back to top Go down
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Yeah. From what I understand, you either have to do it at level 1 or level 50 in Oblivion. I intend to disappear for months after Skyrim comes out.
Back to top Go down
Yakkub
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
Yakkub

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:49 pm

WoodyTheWoodstar wrote:
Yeah. From what I understand, you either have to do it at level 1 or level 50 in Oblivion. I intend to disappear for months after Skyrim comes out.

Or just mod the game until it's good. Oblivion had some major downfalls: 1) The levelling system. At level 25, all bandits had full glass/daedric. You can compare this to Morrowind, where you needed to buy an expansion just to get the full daedric set. This also means if you level up in anything besides killing, you'll be outclassed in every single fight. Luckily, there are several great mods that combat this problem. 2) Everything looks the same. Every cave, dungeon, and building within a town is copypasta. The developers claim to have learned from this mistake, however, and have more than 2 guys working on interior scenery. 3) Everything looks like the English countryside. In Morrowind, giant floating jellyfish were raised as farm animals, the major source of food was ant eggs, wizards lived in arcanely engineered mushroom towers, and the major means of transportation was: Skyrim Plot Silt_strider
The setting was unique, interesting, and definitely not your typical stock fantasy world. The Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion captured this element again, but in my opinion the Shivering Isles was hands down better than the entire vanilla game. More about that in a moment.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/yakkub
Yakkub
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
Yakkub

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 pm

So, basically, the Elder Scrolls lore is getting worse and worse.

Daggerfall was rich with political intrigue, extremely complex social structures, and drastically world-affecting consequences. I can't really get too in depth because I haven't played very far into the game, but from the spoilers I've read, the lore is pure anti-gravity golden silk. If I had the inclination to play retro games, I wouldn't be able to pry myself away long enough to post in this forum.

Morrowind. Morrowind. Morrowiiiinnnndddd...
Skyrim Plot Morrowind-days
That's a good visual representation of The Elder Scrolls III's plot. It's basically a sandbox with a million different quests and characters all intermingling waiting for you to care about them. There's very little guidance involved in who you talk to or what you do (no floating green arrows here). At the very beginning of the game you're told to deliver an encrypted dossier to a heroin addict. That's all. ...go!
This does a few things. 1) It makes the game the best game I've ever played. 2) It opens the game up to countless different playstyles. The means and pace of which you play the game are entirely up to you. There are a bunch of different routes to the same actions/discoveries/plots, and there are some things you'll only be able to do if a specific number of variables are met. 3) It gives the game a certain amount of impenetrability. If you get any of those references in the above picture, you probably get all of them. People either love or hate Morrowind. It caters to a very specific audience- lorefags who don't mind reading 18 pages of dense text in order to complete a quest and are alright with getting lost all the fucking time on a giant map without fast travel.

Oblivion is so linear it approaches an action-adventure game. Everything has arrows, there's only one way to complete quest chains, and the main quest is typical "kill the demons". It's like an arc of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Fucking Hellgates.

What I'm really curious about is whether or not Skyrim will take a step back toward's Morrowind's malleability. Probably not. Anyway, I'll get into actual lore implications later.
Back to top Go down
Yakkub
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
The Spooky Pope of 3.5e
Yakkub

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 8:27 pm

I mentioned in my previous post that one of the most fantastic things about Morrowind is the bizarre aesthetic prevalent throughout this veritable bouquet of a setting. Here's one of the first sights you see upon starting a new game:
Skyrim Plot Morrowind_031502_003
There are easily recognizable quasi-medieval things, but there's also a giant walking cockroach chilling on the edge of town. This combination of familiar fantasy imagery and inventive weirdness sets the tone for a game rooted in traditional RPG elements, but with it's own distinctive flavour. This helps the player adjust to later sights, such as:
Skyrim Plot Map2_Darconis1

In Oblivion, you're initially greeted with:
Skyrim Plot Oblivion_22
There's some grass. And trees. A deer or two. And a castle. It looks sort of like a defoliated my backyard. (I have a full scale model of White Gold Tower.) This sets the tone for a traditional fantasy setting with absolutely nothing unique or unusual about it. Sure, it's pretty. But it's boring.

Luckily, in The Shivering Isles, the developers dug out the concept art for Morrowind and created something a bit beyond page 35 of the Player's Handbook.
Skyrim Plot The-elder-scrolls-iv-the-shivering-isles-20070206045907270-000
Skyrim Plot Si_17B
Skyrim Plot Ss-012

Now, Skyrim looks similar to Oblivions boring aesthetic, but with some cool Age of Conan dark fantasy shit going on. Also dragons.
Skyrim Plot Skyrim-screenshot-gameplay
We'll just have to wait and see how far the flavour flows.
Back to top Go down
WoodyTheWoodstar
DM-san
DM-san

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 am

Personally, I'm hoping for a straight-up God of War clone. Fuck yeah 2-button combos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skyrim Plot Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim Plot   Skyrim Plot Empty

Back to top Go down

Skyrim Plot
Page 1 of 1